Reader-Funded Data Journalism
PPD Polls Conducted By
https://www.bigdatapoll.com/
Connect With PPD
Tuesday, March 26, 2019
HomeNewsPoliticsTrump Threatens to Close Southern Border If Necessary to Stop Immigration Abuse

Trump Threatens to Close Southern Border If Necessary to Stop Immigration Abuse

President Donald Trump talks with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Border Patrol Agents, including Carla Provost, near the Otay Mesa Port of Entry in San Diego, California. U.S., March 13, 2018. (Photo: Reuters)

President Donald Trump threatened on Saturday to close the southern border with Mexico to stop “costly and dangerous: illegal entries.

Thousands of Central American migrants funded and organized by leftwing activists intent to ignore the will of the American people and enter the U.S. illegally between ports of entries.

“Migrants at the Southern Border will not be allowed into the United States until their claims are individually approved in court,” the president tweeted. “We only will allow those who come into our Country legally. Other than that our very strong policy is Catch and Detain. No “Releasing” into the U.S…”

“All will stay in Mexico. If for any reason it becomes necessary, we will CLOSE our Southern Border,” the president tweeted in a follow up. “There is no way that the United States will, after decades of abuse, put up with this costly and dangerous situation anymore!”

The Trump Administration limited asylum claims to those who enter the U.S. through legal ports of entries. But the liberal Ninth Circuit blocked the measure, a temporary judge-shopped delay likely to be overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Meanwhile, the mayor of Tijuana declared a humanitarian crisis in his border city and asked the United Nations (UN) for financial aid to handle roughly 5,000 migrants camped out inside a sports complex. The migrants clashed with Mexican citizens as they entered their neighbor to the North illegally.

The Washington Post reported Saturday, citing Mexican officials and senior members of

President Trump and Mexican President-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador have come to a tentative agreement. The plan, dubbed “Remain in Mexico,” was the result of a meeting last week that included Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, and other high ranking US officials with Mexico’s incoming foreign minister Marcelo Ebrard.

“For now, we have agreed to this policy of Remain in Mexico,” Olga Sánchez Cordero — López Obrador’s top domestic policy official as Mexico’s interior minister-elect — told the Washington Post on Saturday, calling it a “short-term solution.”

“The medium- and long-term solution is that people don’t migrate,” Mr. Sánchez Cordero also said. “Mexico has open arms and everything, but imagine, one caravan after another after another, that would also be a problem for us.”

The major changes under the new policy is 1) applicants seeking asylum at ports of entry will receive a credible fear screening and remain in the U.S. until their initial appearance with an immigration judge.

However, if the judge does not rule on the case immediately, the applicant will have to return to Mexico. Prior to the change, which resulted in “Catch and Release,” applicants were released in the U.S. until their hearing. More often than not, they are no-shows at the hearing.

Even if the judge denied the claim, the applicant disappeared and avoid deportation by hiding out in sanctuary cities, where liberal local officials refuse to honor immigration detainers.

Now, with the new policy change, if the judge denies the claim, the applicant would be detained in the U.S. for immediate deportation proceedings.

By
Staff Writing Group

People's Pundit Daily delivers reader-funded data journalism covering the latest news in politics, polls, elections, business, the economy and markets.

No comments

leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.