The U.S. Justice Department reportedly has filed criminal charges against suspects in the Benghazi attack perpetrated on Sepetember 11, 2012.
The Wall Street Journal reported late Tuesday that sealed charges were filed against an unknown number of suspects in connection with the Sept. 11, 2012, attack. It’s unclear whether they are the same individuals whose images the FBI released to the public in May.
Four Americans, including then-Ambassador Chris Stevens, were killed in the attack on the U.S. compound in Benghazi.
Asked about the reports of charges, a Justice Department official said only that their investigation is “ongoing.”
“It has been, and remains, a top priority. We have no further comment at this time,” the official said.
The development comes just days after Republican members of Congress put new pressure on the incoming FBI director, James Comey, to renew focus on the investigation.
“It has been more than 10 months since the attacks. We appear to be no closer to knowing who was responsible today than we were in the early weeks following the attack. This is simply unacceptable,” they wrote in a letter to Comey last week.
CNN reports that one of the individuals charged is Libyan militia leader Ahmed Khattalah, whom the network recently interviewed.
Rep. Jason Chaffetz also discussed his – as well as the House GOP – renewed calls for the FBI to get more aggressive on the Benghazi investigation, just shortly after CNN aired the interview above. Isn’t this coincidental?