Widget Image
Follow PPD Social Media
Follow Us:
Sunday, September 20, 2020
HomePollsNew Texas Senate Polls Gutcheck The GOP Establishment

New Texas Senate Polls Gutcheck The GOP Establishment

Senator John Cornyn may soon regret not standing with his fellow-Texan in the Senate who was supporting the effort to defund ObamaCare. A new October 26 Human Events/ Gravis Marketing poll of Republican voters in Texas found that a generic Tea Party candidate beats Sen. John Cornyn, the GOP’s number two man in the Senate 46 percent to 33 percent.

texas senate polls

“The poll clearly shows Cornyn is trouble, especially when you see that in the poll Sen. R. Edward Cruz has a job approval rating of 73 percent among Republicans and Cornyn 46 percent,” said the pollster Doug Kaplan, who founded Gravis Marketing in 2010.

ted cruz approval

Real Clear Politics began including Gravis Marketing in the 2012 election when figuring averages, and we at People’s Pundit Daily find Gravis Marketing to hold significant weight due to their accuracy. They dug in deep on their questions, as well, which helps us to ascertain what is happening to Senator John Cornyn in Texas.

texas senate polls

Voters simply do not believe he is the same person they sent to the Senate. As seen above, 36 percent said that he is “less conservative” than in 2008, let alone in 2002, when he was first elected to the U.S. Senate. He was once voted one of the most conservative congressman by National Journal, but now Texans feel as if he has been in Washington too long, making him out of touch with convective Texans.

texas senate polls

When asked about holding their views, 39 percent say they are “unsure,” with a damning 34 percent saying “no.” Altogether, 73 percent of Texas Republicans do not feel he is representative of them, which will make it very hard to win in a primary.

texas senate polls

Senator Ted Cruz on the other hand, a man who received an over 8-minute standing ovation when returning to Texas after the partial shutdown, clobbers Cornyn, Obama, and even Gov. Perry in a four-way match-up. As you can see, in a state that Democrats are drooling over, and will need Republican support if they hope to win the state electoral votes, President Obama garners 5 percent who believe that he “understands ordinary people the most.”

The bottom line seems to be that Mr. Doug Kaplan is absolutely correct. Senator John Cornyn is in deep, deep trouble. He will be able to raise an enormous amount of money, but that will help him only so much if given a competent primary challenger. Peoples Pundit Daily has moved the GOP primary race rating to Toss-Up (view full 2014 Senate Races And Ratings Map), simply because there is no clear challenger at this time.

Iraq war veteran Erick Wyatt ®, who is an unknown at this point, may feel a bit more inclined to jump in the race. Furthermore, Cornyn got a little negative publicity recently when National Journal reported earlier this month that he is collecting benefits from three different public pensions – a practice commonly known as “double-dipping,” or rather in his case, triple-dipping. It is this exact “insider” story that a primary challenger could run all the way to Washington, D.C. on.

Written by
Data Journalism Editor

Rich, the People's Pundit, is the Data Journalism Editor at PPD and Director of the PPD Election Projection Model. He is also the Director of Big Data Poll, and author of "Our Virtuous Republic: The Forgotten Clause in the American Social Contract."

No comments

leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

People's Pundit Daily
You have %%pigeonMeterAvailable%% free %%pigeonCopyPage%% remaining this month. Get unlimited access and support reader-funded, independent data journalism.

Start a 14-day free trial now. Pay later!

Start Trial