The Justice Department (DOJ) indicated in a court filing for an unrelated case that the U.S. charged WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. The court filing from a federal prosecutor in Virginia mentions the anti-secrecy advocate’s name twice.
The unrelated case involves a man accused of coercing a minor for sex.
In the first reference, the prosecutor wrote that the charges and arrest warrant “would need to remain sealed until Assange is arrested in connection with the charges in the criminal complaint and can therefore no longer evade or avoid arrest and extradition in this matter.”
Did the US Department of Justice just accidentally reveal that it has charged WikiLeaks' publisher Julian Assange, in a secret charges request it filed in another case at the Eastern District of Virginia, with a cut-and-paste error? https://t.co/XCpean1yof pic.twitter.com/dZ6JjAFGlk
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) November 16, 2018
In the second reference, the prosecutor said that “due to the sophistication of the defendant and the publicity surrounding the case, no other procedure is likely to keep confidential the fact that Assange has been charged.”
It was and is still not entirely clear why Julian Assange was referenced in the document. Joshua Stueve, a spokesman for the Eastern District of Virginia, which had been investigating the WikiLeaks founder, denied he had been charged.
“The court filing was made in error,” he said in a statement. “That was not the intended name for this filing.”
However, The Washington Post, citing sources “familiar with the matter,” reported late Thursday that Mr. Assange had indeed been charged. Neither People’s Pundit Daily (PPD) nor the Associated Press (AP) could not immediately confirm the report.
Mr. Assange, 47, has been effectively imprisoned in the Ecuadorian Embassy for more than 6 years in an effort to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he was wanted to sex crimes, or to the United States (U.S.). The former dropped the charges,
The U.S. has sought to prosecute Mr. Assange for publishing a video they described as “depicting the indiscriminate slaying of over a dozen people in the Iraqi suburb of New Baghdad — including two Reuters news staff.”
While liberals and mediates are hoping for a Russia-related indictment, the founder has offered Special Counsel Robert Mueller III evidence Russia did not supply them with 2016-related documents leaks before the election. Mr. Mueller declined the offer.
WikiLeaks released thousands of documents unflattering to Hillary Clinton, her team at the State Department and campaign chairman John Podesta. The document dump exposed journalists at CNN, Politico, The Washington Post and many others as collaborators with the Democratic Party.
The production crew for Jake Tapper, the flagship anchor at CNN, asked the Democratic National Committee (DNC) what questions to pose to Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.
Former DNC interim Chair Donna Brazile gave the Clinton campaign debate questions beforehand, and the leaks overall revealed the party establishment working to rig the nomination process in favor of Mrs. Clinton over Bernie Sanders.
No evidence was given in either indictment and no evidence will ever be presented at trial, as Mr. Mueller knows full-well. Foreign nationals charged by the U.S. will never surrender to authorities.
Meanwhile, in both indictments, the Justice Department stated that there’s no evidence any American had knowledge of the plot to interfere with the election, no outcomes were impacted and, more stunningly, the Russians didn’t intend to help any particular candidate.
They intended to sow domestic political discord and undermine Americans’ confidence in U.S. elections.